Thursday, December 20, 2012

Top 10 entertainment in 2012

So, as 2012 winds to a close, it's time to reflect on the year that's passed, and look forward to the year to come. For me, this past year has been a blast. I've gotten through my second and third semesters of college, I finished two full-length novels, and experienced spending WAY too much money. (That last one is still going on, by the way, at least until Christmas)

So, to celebrate the coming of the New Year, I'm putting a Top 10 of my favorite moments in entertainment history (books, music, movies) for you write-hards to enjoy at your leisure. As long as the world doesn't explode or get attacked by aliens some time tomorrow. 

#10- Carrie Underwood
----- Carrie has done so well since she got off Idol, and years later, her popularity has skyrocketed! If you say you're not a big fan of country music, you should at least give her a listen. Her music videos this year from the album that came out November 2011 are phenomenal!
Good Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-uothzTaaQ
Blown Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJgoHgpsb9I

#9- Peter Hollens
----- If you have not seen this man's music on Youtube, you need to! Peter Hollens is an acapella artist on Youtube, who creates every sound in his songs/covers/videos with his own voice! No instruments or anything! Check him out, and subscribe. His songs are also available on iTunes, if you like them enough to support such an amazing singer!
A few of my faves:
Some Nights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfTBoCKJbU
(^ That ones awesome, not just due to the beautiful singing, but the random lawnmower. Random's cool now, right?)
I Won't Give Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJ0HzLke0Y
Lights (w/ Eppic): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yLzpIpK7I

#8- Pentatonix
----- This group of acapella artists were the winners of the Sing-Off in 2011, and they're still going strong. With a ton of videos of covers and medleys on Youtube, they are quickly rising the ranks in the artists I lsten to most. They also might have an album or two out for sale. I'm going to try to get tickets to their concert. And yes, that last sentence means they are going on tour next year. You know, if we don't all die tomorrow. xD
N'Sync Medley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxH1KVi84Q
Britney Spears Medley (from the Sing-Off): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HRWoiapio
As Long As You Love Me/Wide Awake mashup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OREQmPB3RF4


#7- Hotel Transylvania
----- Hotel T is a great movie. You may think it's a kids movie because it's animated, but here I am, almost twenty years old, and I absolutely LOVED it. And it's an all-star cast as well. The jokes ranged from corny to hilarious. This movie is worth checking out! Pick up a copy when it comes out on DVD on January 29, 2013. As long as we're not dead before then.

#6- Lindsey Stirling
----- Just like the two earlier musicians (#'s 8&9), Lindsey Stirling posts videos of her songs, all originally created music, on Youtube. However, with one catch. Lindsey's not a singer. She's a hip-hop violinist! Those two may not seem to go together, but with her, THEY DO! Lindsey was actually one of the top videos of 2012 on the Youtube Rewind! She's going on an international tour next year as well. One of my best friends gets to see her perform TWICE and actually GETS TO MEET HER!!! I'm very jealous of her right now. If you haven;t checked her out, here's a few of my faves of hers:
Shadows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCsyshUU-A
Crystallize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI
Moon Trance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfZ9BXaNyE

#5- Dark Shadows
----- Just to start this part off, Johnny Depp... Amazing in this reboot. Now, I've never seen the original series of Dark Shadows, but based on what I've heard, many people thought this was a great film. And, fun fact for ya: the Barnabas Collins from the original series actually makes a cameo in this film. See if you can find him. ;)

#4- The Janus Affair
----- Ever heard of steampunk? Before two years ago, me neither. But, if you like historical fiction and/or fantasy, steampunk is the new genre you need to keep an eye out for. It's filled with carriage chases, steam-powered gadgets, and two ultra-cool secret agents that love to get into trouble. Wait.... that may just be the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series. Written by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris- two of my favorite authors and friends- this series centers on two agents in the MoPO. The first is Eliza Braun, a renegade agent who loves shooting, blowing stuff up, (actually, anything that explodes and/or starts fires works for her) and mainly pushing her partner's buttons. Wellington Books is the archivist of the Ministry, a studious man who loves to tinker with newer technologies in his free time. (FYI- DON'T call him a librarian. He will get mad.)
When these two agents start taking on cases of their own choosing, the only thing that results is an adventure that will hook you from page one. The first book, Phoenix Rising, came out 2011, and the Janus Affair this past May. Check them out! You won't regret it!

#3- The Avengers
----- If you've never heard of this movie, you've been living under a rock for the past year. Time to face the sun. This movie doesn't need an explanation of how awesome it is. You just need to watch it. Over and over again.

#2- Gangnam Style
----- K-pop. Horses. Dorky dance moves. Awkward elevator scene. All adds up to a viral video that very well make it to 1 billion views before the new year. If by some nightmare you have not seen it, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

And #1- Revolution
----- This is the only Television show that made it to the list. And it's my number one pick for 2012. If you need more evidence than what's coming, check a few of my previous blog posts. There's actually one that goes in depth as to why I like it.
I like action. I like drama. I like messing with people's emotions. I LOVE it when all three of those come together in one. And the best execution of this is Revolution. The first ten episodes of season 1 came out on Monday nights starting at the end of September, and I was hooked by a commercial in August. And I'm going to stick with it! The tension, the sword, gun, and fist fights, the relationships, the BIG cliffhanger they left me with= all good reasons to watch when it comes back.
At the end of March.
....
MARCH!!!!!
*dies*
xP


Anyway, those are my top 10 of 2012 entertainment. I recommend all ten of these very highly, as I watch/listen to them on a regular basis. Hopefully, you'll like them as much as I do!!

Cheers to the New Year!
-Chrissy

PS- This is a note to whoever has kept with me since the beginning of my writing journey, I just want to tell you I love you. You know, in case the Mayans are telling the truth. After all, they know the world's gonna end in 2012, but they don't see the Spaniards and their own demise, both of which were so much closer. They have to be telling the truth, right?

PPS- Bonus points if you knew the above PS was sarcasm. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment