Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Journey continues...

How's everybody??

Me? My month's been pretty rough. Started out with some issues with a friend, culminated with a ton of papers, projects, and homework, and punctuated by what use college kids like to call "He!! week". In addition, I attempted NaNoWriMo this November, which also may be why I was absent for so long on here. Unfortunately, I will not be winning NaNo this November. I'm currently at 33.6k. By basic logic, unless I get a miracle between now and midnight tomorrow, I won't win. xD

That brings me to today's blog topic: Perseverance. There are probably millions of people out there in the wide, wide world that dream of becoming published authors. When you take into account that publishers and agents are very selective in what stories they take on, it paints a very sad picture, doesn't it?

However, if we push on through, whether it take months, years, or decades, we may just make it.

For me, I realized early on this month (around 11/16) that I wouldn't be able to win. But, at that time, I also realized that my ranking on the author totem pole was low enough where self-imposed deadlines aren't set in stone. THEY CAN BE CHANGED.

The whole point was to write a book. I'm still going to do that. My NaNo deadline of writing 50k may be impossible now, but my ultimate deadline of having a completed novel by New Year's Eve may still come to fruition over the course of the next month.

This page is called "A Writer's Journey" for a reason. It comes from a very popular quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"Life is a journey, not a destination."

As long as you pay attention to the journey, where you end up will be much more satisfying than if you're focused on the end.

Now, I have two girls that are in need of some good ol' author's attention. (My characters, in case you were wondering)

-Chrissy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment